- Feature Links
- Employment Opportunities
Ovilla is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Ovilla is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate based on race, sex, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, or disability in hiring, conditions of employment or termination of employment.
Offers of employment with the City of Ovilla are contingent upon results of a pre-employment-controlled substance screening, criminal background history report and a driving record check. Resumes may be attached but will not serve as a substitute for an application. All applications and attachments become the property of the City of Ovilla. Applications may be downloaded from the link above and printed, or obtained at the Ovilla Municipal Building, 105 S. Cockrell Hill Road, Ovilla, TX 75154. For additional information regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources office, 972-617-7262 or email Glennell Miller (email@example.com), City Secretary/HR.
The Ovilla Fire Department continually accepts applications for fire fighter/paramedic. Final applicants for employment with the City of Ovilla are subject to drug testing and background check.
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT
JOB TITLE: Maintenance/Utility Worker
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
PAY RANGE: $13.50 - $17.45
FULL TIME: Non-Exempt
Under immediate supervision, is responsible for performing manual labor with a wide variety of construction and maintenance work to include water, sewer, streets, parks, etc.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include, but not limited to the following:
• Assists with repair and maintenance of water and sewer lines, and streets
• Performs minor maintenance and service checks on equipment
• Operates mowers and other type of light to heavy equipment
• Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required
• Ability to read and write a a level necessary for successful job performance
• This position requires a valid Class “C” Texas Driver’s License
• Must have a Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License or be able to obtain a Class “B” Commercial Driver’s License within 90 days of hiring
• Lifting up to 100 pounds
• Standing for extended periods of time
• 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
• On call one week a month
• At the department’s discretion, the work location and workdays/hours may be subject to change
ADMINISTRATIONJOB TITLE: Customer Service Rep/Utility Billing Clerk
PAY RANGE: $14.50 - $20.50
EFFECTIVE: April 2021
REPORTS TO: Finance Director
The purpose of the Customer Service Representative–Utility Billing Clerk-Permit Clerk is to provide excellent customer service to citizens, internal and external customers of the Utility Billing Department by responding to requests for assistance and requests for actions in a timely and effective manner. This position will also provide accomplished operating functions of computer systems, processing paperwork, permits, and providing assistance where needed, including technical and/or administrative support for a variety of departmental functions, to include data for the public works department. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: May include, but are not limited to the following:
• Represents the City of Ovilla in a professional, appropriate manner at all times.
• Greets customers in person and over the phone to answer questions regarding their utility account; answers concerns/questions via telephone, in person or written correspondence; transfers phone calls or directs customers to proper department.
• Supports the relationship between the City and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with the public and City staff.
• Receives, posts, and processes payments from customers for utility bills and all matters related to utility billing: new customer accounts, connects, disconnects, transfers, processing credit card and ACH draft payments, extensions for delinquent utility accounts, late notices for water, sewer and refuse accounts, inputting billing data, report preparation and printing, processes deposit refunds.
• Under supervisory direction, will prepare adjustments for leaks, sewer averaging, over-reads and errors.
• Balances cash drawer daily.
• Processes NSF checks, bankruptcy, files proof of claim forms and affidavits.
• Assists with and collects for solicitor applications, licenses and renewals, public information payments, building permits, and any other front desk customer payments.
• Responds to customer inquiries and complaints, explaining applicable City policies and procedures as required.
• Retrieves and disseminates night drop and mail for all City departments.
• Performs related duties as assigned or required by supervisor.
REQUIREMENTS, EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
• High School diploma or GED required, 30 or more college hours preferred.
• 1 year of demonstrated excellent customer service experience in cashiering and/or billing related experience.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug screen.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of utility billing operations, services and activities.
• Ability to operate 10-key calculator by touch and proven math skills.
• Excellent verbal communication skills and telephone etiquette
• Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to plan, organize and execute multiple tasks by assessing and prioritizing work projects.
• Computer proficiency with knowledge of MS Office applications.
• Ability to safely perform all physical requirements of the job.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES
• Valid Texas Driver’s License
• Occasional lifting and carrying of up to 25 lbs from floor to waist.
• Occasional pushing/pulling, kneeling and bending.
Ovilla is a General Law Type A Municipality governed by a Mayor and five Councilors. Bordered by Cedar Hill, Desoto, Midlothian, and Waxahachie, Ovilla is located on the upper Red Oak Creek in northern Ellis County, the oldest town in the county. The city is a peaceful, residential community generating comparatively low crime stats. Ovilla Demographics: Situated in Ellis and Dallas Counties, population of near 4,200, land area is six (6) square miles, ISO Fire Rating 2, estimated median house value is $220,000.